a little life update

Hello hello! It's been a wee while, hasn't it? I've been rather busy/feeling a bit odd/pretty emotional lately.

It all started a few weeks ago when I was given a blood pressure monitor to wear for 24 hours - it took my BP every 15 minutes and was bloody uncomfortable. The results came back and they were bad. Like dangerously high, especially considering my age, so my heart and other organs and stuff had to be fully checked up on to see what the dealio was.

The day after birthday Christmas I was asked by my nurse to go to hospital and get an echocardiogram - which is a word that strikes fear into me after watching slightly too many hospital dramas on telly. It actually took no time at all, but I wouldn't get the results for another ten days... A week and a half of worrying later and I was finally told that my heart was strong, if a little fast, but that I was likely to be in real trouble if I couldn't get my BP down.

Next we had a bunch of ultrasounds, so off I trotted to the hospital again. They all came back OK too - which I thought would be a good thing, but when I next saw my nurse she was even more worried and basically told me that as all my results were fine, and that there was no actual real physical reason for my BP to be so high, that I would have to start medication straight away, like that day.

I have been putting off taking this medication for the last year - instead I changed my diet, started going to the gym, quit my uber stressful job, moved to a house I felt much happier in and started up my crafty business. Now, some of those things are a bit stressful I admit (moving house, starting a business), but I thought it would at least help get my BP lower, but no. And it wasn't just a wee bit high, it was really flippin' high.

I read the enormous list of possible side effects of the New Drug on the bus home from the doctors. I know some people say not to read the side effects, but I wanted to know what I was getting myself into since I would likely have to take this stuff for the rest of my life. I'd put off this drastic course of action for a long time, but having now been told that if I didn't start medication my kidneys could fail, there was no way I was not taking something, and by Jove I was going to read everything I could about what I was putting into my body and how my body might react.

I've now been taking it for just over a week, and so far so good. My blood pressure doesn't seem to have reduced at all yet, but I don't really know how long these things take to start working, so we'll see how it is in a couple of weeks. I've not had any crazy side effects though, which is a bit of a relief.

Understandably, I've been a bit out of sorts and a bit up and down and all over the place, but now I'm feeling good and raring to go - I have masses of craft fairs coming up, so I'm busy busy busy making stock and getting back into the swing of things, as evidenced by my crazily full desk...

Alfred the Cat was part of a swapsie I did with Emma of Knickerbocker Glories at a craft fair in Islington at the weekend - he's all kinds of awesome.

the tiny Swedish toadstools are from the Scandinavian Christmas Market I went to the other day with Sian and Alison.

Steggy is dutifully looking over my desk to make sure everything is being done properly. He was made by Gemma of Molly Moo and Jessica Too.

the 'trouble at t'mill' cross stitch embroidery hoop is by Emma too - she's such a clever thing!

I flippin' love my unicorn teacup - it is so huge that it fits two normal cups of tea in it, which is always a good thing.


How have things been with you guys? Have I missed anything exciting?

7 hellos:

Claire said...

Love you sweetie. Here if you need me :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm sorry to hear about your health! I hope the medication works soon, I know how you feel not wanting to take it, I avoid medication as much as possible, but if you need it, there's no question. Sending blood pressure lowering vibes your way!

Vixie said...

Thanks, C.

Hey Zoe - I hope so too! I'm having it all checked in 2 weeks so we'll see... I can definitely feel it lowering thanks to the vibes though :)

Alexandria said...

Aw, super sympathy from me :( I had an echo myself a few weeks back, it's suuuper scary when stuff with your heart goes awry. I hope your new meds help you out!


Vixie said...

Thanks Alli. I was only really freaked out because of all the Casualty I've watched! I hope so toooooo!

Sarah said...

Oh, that's a bit rubbish! I'm sure the medication will sort it out. Some people just have high blood pressure for no reason. Dad's been on blood pressure medication for years and it's been fine.

Animal Cafe said...

I didn't realise things were so serious! Hopefully the medication will help and you won't experience to many weird side effects! I was hoping to see you before christmas but as per usual, towards the end of term I am broke, that said I will be leaving a belated birthday - which I think can now also safely be called a christmas/get well soon - present with richard before I go back home! I will definitely make a point to catch up with you in the New Year! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...